Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Healthy snack ideas

I ended up with 16 points yesterday. I did gret on exercise, but seriously flunked at calorie control. sigh.
I think snacking is an issue.

I need to broaden my repertoire of healthy snack items. Most of the snacks I usually make are certainly not healthy or low fat. I think most of the items on this list match at least one of those two criteria.

I found this list on pinterest. Here's the first 25 ideas. I'll post more tomorrow.

100 Healthy Snack Ideas
From SixSistersStuff.com
1. Frozen Grapes (I used to eat these in college all the time- they are amazing)
2. String Cheese
3. Banana
4. Frozen Banana (peel it first, stick in the freezer overnight- it's like a yummy popsicle)
5. Low-fat Yogurt
6. Sugar-free or fat-free pudding
7. Apple dipped in Peanut Butter (or spread peanut butter on top of apple slice and top with pecans . . . so good!)
8. 100-calorie bag of popcorn
9. Applesauce
10. Raw veggies with hummus (my new favorite!)
11. Almonds
12. Apple
13. Skinny S'more (two graham crackers with one roasted marshmallow and one small square dark chocolate)
14. Smoked Beef Jerky (about 1 oz- look for low-sodium!)
15. Chocolate Milk
16. Hard Boiled Egg
17. Sunflower Seeds
18. Cottage Cheese
19. Sliced Cantaloupe
20. Raisins
21. Pita Bread and Hummus
22. Rice Cakes
23. Sugar-free Jello
24. Dried Fruits
25. Frozen Yoplait Whips Yogurt (these seriously taste like ice cream when they are frozen!)

I need to add a few different items to my grocery list each week. Maybe it would keep me from eating half a bag of potato chips at a sitting!

7 comments:

Gwennaëlle said...

Ooooooooooooh I hate bananas but when they are pretty green still. And yet I can't eat much of them. Thanks for the tip. I will try to freeze them. I am sure I will like them better this way.

Anonymous said...

I heard that you can puree banana and freeze it and its like ice cream.. or something like that. Ive been wanting to try it.

I like slicing bananas and dabbing a little peanut or almond butter on each piece. Its nice and filling. Sometimes I just stick a knife in the jar and smear it on the banana before each bite ;)

And sometimes as a snack I eat a bagel or english muffin half with peanut or almond butter

and sometimes I make a little oatmeal (completely plain with no additives) and then dump in a spoonful of a nut butter

Sensing a trend here? lol

I love broccoli and ranch too as a snack

Ill try to think of more healthy snacks that I eat and post them. maybe its more ideas that arent on that list.

Gwennaëlle said...

Peanut butter?
I wish I could buy it here without having to sell a kidney :)

Mikki said...

Really Gwennaelle??? That sucks. I love peanut butter on toast with a little honey on top for breakfast.

I'll have to see if I can find some peanut butter in pouches that I could maybe mail to you.

Mikki said...

Khourt, post any of your snack ideas. Heaven knows I need help in tht department!

Anonymous said...

Peanut Butter recently got a little more expensive here because of some farming issues, but its normally pretty cheap. The other nut butters are usually 3 times as much as peanut butter, so I mostly stick to peanut, but I love almond.

Gwennaëlle said...

I'll take a pic next time I find some so you can be horrified at the price :P
On the other hand Nutella is cheaper here (I said cheaper, not cheap ok?)